Mind-boggling savings I've made with traditional wet shaving (R16pm) vs Gillette Fusion (R250pm) is 15x cheaper

I just decided to swap out my boar hair shaving brush today and realised that it is a few days short of 4 years old and cost me R215. It got me thinking about the costs and I saw that the 300 blade pack of Astra blades I bought off Amazon (R584 inc shipping) have had 50 used so far since 22 Dec 2018 (about 6 months).

Normally I used one Gillette Fusion blade per week (costing R499 for an 8 pack) = R250pm on average but the Astra blades are costing me about R16pm. That equates to a bit over 15 times cheaper! One could factor in the tin(s) Gillette Shaving gel vs the shaving soap I use for about 6 months but it does go to go that the running costs of traditional wet shaving are a lot cheaper.

Given also the better shave (no more ingrown hairs) and better quality of the soaps (no harsh chemicals) I just have to wonder how it is so many many men spend so much money still on cartridge razor shaving... The power of TV marketing is just incredible especially I suppose when you just don't see similar marketing from the traditional shaving manufacturers who all rely on word of mouth. Traditional shaving is making a slow but steady comeback but I just wish more knew about it.

Pictured below are identical Bluebeard Revenge Doubloon Boar Hair brushes. The one on the right has been in daily use for 4 years and was still used this morning, but it is interesting to see how it has worn down when compared side-by-side with the new one.

#wetshaving #traditionalshaving

Image/photo



source https://gadgeteer.co.za/node/3390

Comments