My new Yaesu FT-991A HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver arrived today

My new Yaesu FT-991A HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver arrived today

I've really struggled to get the bits and pieces together but finally today I got the UHF connectors for the coax and the radio itself arrived too. Took a good hour plus to get the connectors all soldered on and connect the wires to the 30Amp DC power supply and finally I got to switch it on. It all powered up OK but I was initially not receiving anything with the balun connected between the radio and the HF antenna (a G5RV Junior antenna for my roof). So I removed the balun and it seems to be receiving fine now (I can't transmit until I get my license in May 2019 so it's not too serious right now and I can spend time diagnosing the antenna - may be a bad solder joint).

For now it's going to be listening and getting used to tuning the radio. I need to mount the antenna in the roof this coming weekend, and still get a VHF/UHF antenna. The aim is to next year start DX'ing far afield. The radio will output 100W on HF but I can see why so much time gets spent discussing and diagnosing antennas... the radio itself is the easy part but the antenna type, position, height, tuning, etc is the real science.

See photos at https://photos.gadgeteer.co.za/index.php?/category/219

#hamradio #yaesu #yaesuft991a #amateurradio

My Technology and Gadgets / Ham Radio | Danie's Photo Site
My Technology and Gadgets / Ham Radio


from Danie van der Merwe - Google+ Posts https://ift.tt/2C5Bk3l
via IFTTT

Comments