I bought a Google Chromecast - Very impressed


My Quick impressions on Apple TV vs Google Chromecast I have now used both the Apple TV (my daughters) and a Chromecast and can give some quick impressions, also supported by Stefan Svartling's own post at http://ift.tt/2hCVQ1i. I was also struck by the fact that Apple TV does what is does very well, but only within its own eco-system, and I have friends and family that have different devices. I too have an Android phone, a Macbook, a Linux desktop, etc. I'm a bit disappointed now that I bought my daughter the Apple TV instead of a Chromecast device (she is fully into only Apple at the moment so it made sense). She did buy a movie from the Apple iStore but it took two days to download before she could watch it. She can play Netflix on it, but not the local Showmax service. I do like Apple's background video images, but Chromecast does allow you to source these (static only) too from non-Google sources like Flickr, include news, etc. Chromecast can be streamed to by most devices and not just Google devices, so you can stream any web tab in Chrome or even the whole desktop or phone's screen. On the games front the Chromecast will stream any mobile app that has Chromecast (from the phone) whilst the Apple TV will only run what is available in the Apple app store (more like the older ANdroid TV used to do). The advantage here for Apple is that it does not require the mobile phone to actively be used (battery life) but the downside is the more limited selection. In general the Chromecast device is more open (with its API open to anyone to use in their apps) and is cheaper so you can afford to have a different one in different rooms. There is no generalisation that fits everyone though,so if you are considering purchasing a streaming device, it's always worth doing a full comparison based on your needs. Always choose what best fits your purpose. Bera in… http://bit.ly/2iQhdhj

Comments