Piwigo is a free and open source alternative to Flickr or Google Photos

Piwigo allows you to freely self-host unlimited collections of your photo galleries with the similar functionality to Flickr or Google Photos. There is also a cloud hosted option for US$45 per year. Piwigo has been around for 18 years already and what I love is the extendible functionality through themes and plugins, and the fact that even if they "shut down" one day, it's open source so I can continue to use it.

You can upload directly from many client applications (DigiKam, Photoshop), the mobile apps (Android or iOS), or a web based page. It has powerful batch functions, and it can organise by albums, dates, privacy settings, geolocation, etc.

Your visitors can post comments, give ratings, mark photos as favourite, perform searches and get notified of news by email.

The plugins are the really powerful part though and there are currently 617 click-to-install plugins to extend language options, themes, and functionality such as importing whole collections directly from Flickr or from Google/Picasa Web Albums, or sharing to popular social media sites, face tagging, remote syncing, etc. If something is missing you could develop it, or get someone to develop it for you, via a plugin.

When Flickr was bought out I knew it was time to move my 10,000 photos, and I did this in one import into Piwigo complete with tags, albums, captions, etc. Since then, I've hosted Piwigo on my own VPS (it installs easily via cPanel and Softaculous) and even moved my hosting to a different provider, but my photos and all the links stayed intact because I use my own domain name. I can also host my family and share my family photos privately, where my family can comment and interact safely online.

See Piwigo - Manage your photo collection

#technology #opensource #photography

Image/photo

Piwigo is open source photo gallery software for the web. Designed for organisations, teams and individuals. Piwigo shines when it comes to classifying thousands or even hundreds of thousands of photos. Born in 2002, Piwigo has been supporting its users for more than 18 years. Always evolving! Source code is available, editable, auditable and...



source https://gadgeteer.co.za/piwigo-free-and-open-source-alternative-flickr-or-google-photos

Comments