The MB1 SDR HF/6M/VHF Ham Radio Transceiver runs Windows10 - Roll on Vulnerabilities, Forced Reboots after Updates, End of Support, and Blue Screen of Death for Ham Radio now?

It's nice that you don't need a computer plus a radio, and I know ham radio breaks new ground with new technology and modes, but you invest a lot in a good radio and I'm just wondering if this is not taking things too far along a road not known for its rock-solid stability as GUI computer OSs tend to run out of support after a few years, need regular security patching, etc. Will be interesting to see how this is running in 10 years time.

That said my own Yaesu FT-991A is anyway running its own form of built-in SDR and yes as it is purpose-built firmware it does not have an array of buttons all ready to click with a mouse as I have to punch a few buttons or sometimes manage it from a connected computer (I like three separate screen and hate Alt-Tabbing through screens one behind each other). But its not exposed directly to the Internet and has no multitasking OS running other applications.

I'm a bit sceptical about this radio but will be interested to see a proper review on it as I have no doubt it does all its radio things it needs to and antenna options on the back are quite impressive. I'm just thinking more about a consumer desktop OS and how that will be supported in a few years. In theory it can receive updates and I'd imagine the supplier is releasing their own managed updates to this device is not getting weekly patches from Microsoft (it will probably need regular anti-virus updates for any USB sticks you are pushing into it).

See a short video of it at youtu.be/wfIo0R57ImA

#hamradio #amateurradio youtu.be/wfio0r57ima

source https://squeet.me/display/962c3e10-195c-e080-71e2-c9c999700831

Comments