Mark Zuckerberg leveraged Facebook user data to fight rivals and help friends, leaked documents show - Facebook’s leaders seriously discussed selling access to user data — and privacy was an ongoing afterthought

It's not like this is a big surprise to many... but the pattern has become very clear that this type of behaviour was standard operating procedure at Facebook. Despite Mark's assurances in the early days that the data would always belong to users and be respected, no such thing happened behind the scenes and this is unethical. This is not your vehicle's petrol consumption data being exposed, it is your very personal information not intended to be shared outside those you shared it with (and then even not shared such as mobile phone numbers for two-factor authentication).

Facebook has also shown over the years that they just keep apologising after being caught out and then promise to learn from the experience... but don't. It's clear that governments are still wondering how to deal with but the remaining consumers using Facebook really need to make a stand of their own. I deleted my Facebook account more than a year back and I'm still alive, I lived through G+ shutting down this month and I'm still alive on social media and made new friends. You may not worry about your own data, but you could be exposing your friends' data.

This is also one reason why I started up my own Hubzilla node - I manage and control it all by myself and it can be used by my friends and family, who can share/link outside of it if they choose. But inside the node it is free and trusted. There are lots of alternatives out there and many are run by volunteers who respect privacy. Nothing is permanent on the Internet which also means we can move on and survive too.

See www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-me…

#deletefacebook #privacy



source https://squeet.me/display/962c3e10-215c-b63e-2d86-ad5786100308

Comments