Numerous corporates appearing on the new Pages in MeWe social network - Maybe Federated networks also...

Numerous corporates appearing on the new Pages in MeWe social network - Maybe Federated networks also need a central group/interests directories

Since Google+ gave notice of its shutdown next August 2019 corporates and brands will have been looking where to move to. I have noticed many of them, popping up in the MeWe Pages. Just this weekend a lot of very well known tech brands have popped up, some still setting up their "pages".

What it made me realise for all the excellent federated networks that we have like Diaspora, Friendica, Mastodon, Hubzilla, etc is that brands need themselves to be found. If there is no central groups/pages type directory functionality they can't be found easily. I get that many networks are not interested in brands or corporates (remembering how extreme it got with Facebook) and it will be interesting to see how brands do on MeWe without advertising. MeWe is starting out similarly to Facebook (albeit with better principles) so it will be interesting to see how they manage to balance individual vs brands/corporate interests.

Another example of how centralised directories works is I have about 135 Profile followers on MeWe but in my Tech & Gadgets Group I have over 400 followers without me advertising it. People find my Group through the central directory. Maybe its an idea for federated networks to have some directory of interests which points to where the Group can be followed. That said I follow the principle of trying to separate my posts into interest topics so that all mt cat memes are not seen by everyone who does not want to see them. I appreciate a network which offers focus...

#mewe #brands #pages




from Danie van der Merwe - Google+ Posts https://ift.tt/2F1AQ1K
via IFTTT

Comments