"Brand NEW" 1988 IBM PC AT + Model M! Unboxing & Setup

"Brand NEW" 1988 IBM PC AT + Model M! Unboxing & Setup

Wow this is really retro home computing. You can watch this guy savouring each piece of retro tech as he sets it up with PC-DOS 3.30 and EGA graphics.

I remember getting the first IBM compatible XT computers in pieces and assembling them for sale. I'd bought my own XT from a pharmacist who was in his spare time importing the parts and selling these machines. After I got to know him (from continuously upgrading my own machine through him) he started to pay me to set the machines up and go install it at purchaser's houses. Back then few end users knew how to do this. It's basically how I learnt how computers worked and was able to diagnose problems. Parking drive heads, MFM controllers, drive resistors, 512k RAM, Extended RAM, low-level formatting, DR-DOS, Soundblaster cards, green screens, EGA, parallel ports, serial interface speeds, etc were all the thing back then.

Watch the video (and revel in this guy's thrills esp at 10 mins when he unwraps the keyboard) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLy_jEbuY-U.

#retrotech




from Danie van der Merwe - Google+ Posts https://ift.tt/2wVUa9p
via IFTTT

Comments