Why I Switched to Linux


Why I Switched to Linux - An 18 minute YouTube rant on the downtime for Windows updates Shame I pity this guy but I'm glad he made the stand and took the choice to just go elsewhere. I can't believe the whole computer comes to a standstill while an update runs for over 40 minutes - you can't work at all! He is really seriously unhappy about the impact this had on his work day. I remember the days my work computer would start a Win7 update just when I was shutting down to go home - it used to infuriate me. Linux downloads and installs all updates in the background, WHEN you tell it to go ahead. You have no downtime while doing updates and you stay fully productive. When it has finished it does not reboot - mostly you just carry on working (even for kernel updates I see now). With shutdowns Linux shuts down the computer in seconds, not a minute or two later. It's a choice that we each get to make. It did take me about a year to get out of my Windows mode (trying to get Windows only software running on Linux - although quite a bit of Windows software does in fact run under WINE on Linux). I look out for, and buy, cross-platform software that will run on both Linux and MacOS where I can. There is nothing right now that I feel I can't get done on Linux. Watch the rant, if you dare, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_F3wDqGFM. Spoiler... the only video you will see is the Windows update screen ;-) http://bit.ly/2lLaHu2

Comments