iPod Classic 5th Generation Video


Powered up my 10 year old iPod Classic 5th Generation Video music player I bought this iPod Classic music player back in 2006 (10 years old now) and thought I'd try to get it going again. It kept saying flat battery yesterday when I connected it to a charger, but I left it on charge overnight and this morning it is working perfectly. Why would someone use an iPod music player? Well back in 2006 we did not have the smartphones we have today with fancy music and video players. The iPhone came in 2007 and the first Android only appeared at the end of 2008. So this iPod had a 30GB laptop hard drive in it (no SSD or SD cards, and 30GB was massive back in the day) with music, photos, videos, contacts, calendar, notes, etc on it with about 10 hours of battery life. No Bluetooth or WiFi then so everything synced through a USB cable to iTunes (what a pain - you could not just copy music files back and forth). Of course I had also installed Rockbox on it which gave it greatly enhanced functionality and UI. I included two photos in the album to show what you got with Rockbox. The Rockbox project is still going and you can still install it on an iPod Classic. I also tried connecting the iPod to my car and it recognised the iPod and replicated its functionality to the multimedia system (via USB cable).

Comments