2017-01-14


How I find and process my Technology Blog Posts Funny thing was that as I was sitting down to start writing about this, I actually changed two of the tools I have been using for more than two years. My process remains the same but after some glitches with Feedly's website yesterday I just had a fresh look at what was on offer for RSS readers and I switched to Inoreader (a paid subscription). Chief reasons were masses of customisation, full dark theme, useful feed stats, and a more iterative subscription model. So I'll break my process down to into its stages: Where I find my news Chiefly I use the News360 website (which suggests more of what you read about) and a good RSS reader (now Inoreader as per photos below). For the RSS reader I subscribe to over 100 feeds (which collect updates news from specific websites as they are published, all in Inoreader). These are feeds that cover my various interests. Within Inoreader I can skim down the posts that came up that day and I see what catches my eye. On average this is about 450 individual post titles that I skim through. I'll open the post and if it is interesting enough, I'll click a button to send it to Pocket (used to be called Read It Later). Also if I'm reading other sources such as G+, News24, Google Now alerts, etc I'll push anything straight to Pocket. I also listen to audio podcasts while I'm driving to and from work, and anything interesting there I dictate to Google Keep to remind me to check later on. Processing in Pocket Pocket (because everything shares to it) is my central sorting house and sometimes I'll hold something for a day or two to see if it is fake news or if the story changes, or sometimes on reflection I don't find a story very interesting. Everything is saved to Pocket with tags, so already they are grouped as tech news, Environment, Health, Education, etc. Pocket also saves an archive copy of the original post in case it… http://bit.ly/2ixjnkv

Comments