10/1/16


Victron Solar Charge Controller MTTP 75/50 - A Connected Life is a Better One My previous charge controller was a 30 Amp controller with zero monitoring except a remote display unit which was an extra purchase (see a future post I'll be doing on lessons learnt when choosing solar components as I'm replacing some devices now that I would not have bought if I knew more about all of this). This new charge controller has a number of advantages over the older one: 1. It will output 50 Amps instead of 30 Amps - batteries will charge quicker and today I saw 40 Amps coming through giving nearly 432 Watts of energy. 2. It will input up to 75 Volts from the panels which means I can still add another one or two panels. 3. It has Ultra-Fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) which is important with cloudy weather with light intensity that changes quickly. This allows it to improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to slower PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to slower MPPT controllers. 4. No cooling fan means maximum efficiency exceeds 98% with full output current up to 40 degrees C (the hotter the weather, the less efficient the whole system gets, especially the batteries). 5. Biggest benefit of all is also the seamless integration into the Victron Color Control GX (CCGX) which gives a summary view of the system and uploads the data to the Victron Cloud, where I have alerts set for low battery voltage, faults in the system, over voltage, etc. This allows me to monitor the system from my mobile phone or from my desktop anywhere in the world. You can view all the photos of my solar setup at http://bit.ly/solardanie (where I have commented on each photo) and also view the live stats for my solar system at the Victron Cloud at http://bit.ly/daniesolarlivestats. So the last item to replace is the "dumb" inverter that I currently have. I am busy getting a Victron MultiPlus 12/1200 Inverter which… http://bit.ly/2dkXYaw

Comments