You Can’t Install Linux on a Microsoft Signature Edition Laptop (Updated)


You Can’t Install Linux on a Microsoft Signature Edition Laptop Remove my choice, and I remove my purchase! This happened to me a few years ago when I bought a Samsung Ativ Tab - the BIOS was locked to Windows 7, and little did I expect this as it was a standard Intel CPU. I could not sell that device quickly enough! If you’re in the market for a new Linux laptop you might be looking at ‘Microsoft Signature Edition‘ laptops from big known brands, such as the Lenovo Yoga 900 ISK2 UltraBook. Well, stop. It seems that Microsoft Signature Edition PCs do not let you install Linux. Buyers of affected ‘Signature Edition’ Lenovo devices say they are unable to install Linux, as the “SSD is locked in a proprietary RAID mode that Linux doesn’t understand”. One buyer raised the issue on the Lenovo product forums only to be told by an ‘Lenovo Product Expert’ that the devices are “locked as per our agreement with Microsoft”. See http://ift.tt/2clNOUg

Comments