9/29/16


My personal Weather Station is finally live on the Internet I have posted a series of photos at http://ift.tt/2cDDBTr showing the components along with comments on some features and bugs. The link to my weather station at Weather Underground is http://ift.tt/2dtuWJq. On the plus side the all-in-one configuration is easy to get installed and operating. It self-calibrates and is wireless so there is little to have to worry about. You do need to purchase a Smarthub for it to transmit to the Internet (also very easy to install). The real downside is that, despite the physical device being for sale in retail stores in South Africa, it is clearly aimed at the US, Canada and Australian markets (the website registration and setup only allows addresses from these countries, and even worse is that the wind vane is set for the Northern Hemisphere only as you need to rotate the device by 180 degrees for the solar panel to face the sun, and of course no spare parts or accessories are available for sale at our retail stores). I had to perform a "manual adjustment" to enable the wind direction to operate properly for the Southern Hemisphere. Despite that it is great fun to see it operating and to be contributing to the crowd-sourced weather on Weather Underground (which is by the way very accurate from what I have observed in the last week). One amusing incident I had: As it started to rain a few nights back at about 23:30, I jumped out of bed to go see the rainfall rate working on the display, and as I did so all the power went off in the house. At first I thought the rain must have shorted something out.... until I realized a few minutes later that our pre-paid electricity had run out by coincidence at that exact moment. Apart from the instant weather monitoring and detailed forecasts, I can also set various alerts to be sent via e… http://bit.ly/2dG6aVg

Comments